HOME


History


NewsoftheIrish


Book Reviews
& Book Forum


Search / Archive
Back to 10/96

Papers


Reference


About


Contact



ireland, irish, ulster, ireland, irish, ulster, Sinn Féin, Irish America

New cold case report concludes eight-man IRA gang opened fire first and SAS team that killed them had a right to shoot back

(Liam Clarke, Belfast Telegraph)

An IRA unit wiped out by the SAS during an attack on Loughgall RUC station in 1987 opened fire first, a major report has found.

The conclusion that the SAS were within their rights to shoot dead the terror unit in one of the most notorious cases of the Troubles is the key finding of an investigation by the Historical Enquiries Team.

The revelation is sure to cause a political storm as the families of those killed in the ambush have always claimed that the men were intentionally gunned down as part of a shoot-to-kill policy without any warning or attempt to effect arrests.

The full HET findings are due to be released to the families of the dead within weeks.

The Belfast Telegraph understands that the HET report concludes that the IRA unit, the most feared then in existence, could not have been safely arrested and that the SAS were within their rights to open fire in the circumstances.

The Loughgall shootings were among the most controversial of the Troubles. Eight IRA members died in the attack in May 1987.

The SAS also shot Anthony Hughes, an innocent civilian who was clad in a boilersuit as he drove home from work with his brother Oliver. Their car chanced to drive into the 'killing zone' set up by the special forces around the rural police station.

Around 14 east Tyrone IRA volunteers were involved in the planned terrorist operation.

Eight of them travelled in a van and a hijacked digger, which carried a bomb in its bucket, to carry out the attack.

Others held the digger's owner hostage in his home, or travelled unarmed in cars used to scout the route for security forces.

The account accepted by republicans, set out in Fr Raymond Murray's book The SAS In Ireland, is that the SAS started shooting as soon as the bomb fuse was lit.

Fr Murray believed that three IRA men returned "a few shots" in response to "withering fire" from the soldiers.

The bomb then detonated, virtually demolishing the station, and the SAS continued firing for several minutes.

One IRA member, Seamus Donnelly (19), died as he tried to escape into a football field where soldiers and police were concealed. The rest died in the van or around the digger.

The republican account has it that the IRA men thought the station was unmanned at that time.

However, the HET concluded that the IRA unit opened fire as they approached the station.

The HET found they were unlikely to have shot at a building they believed to be empty.

This was similar to what happened when the same unit had attacked Ballygawley RUC station in 1985, killing two officers.

The HET was asked to expedite the Loughgall case after the European Court of Human Rights found, in 2001, that the British Government had not yet carried out a thorough enough investigation into the nine deaths.

It also awarded each of the bereaved families £10,000 compensation.

The IRA operation was led by Paddy Kelly and Jim Lynagh.

Mairead Kelly, Mr Kelly's sister, said she had been told that the report was in its "editing" stage but they had given her no hint of the contents.

She said the families of the dead had, as they were invited to do, asked the HET a number of specific questions.

Questions included why their loved ones were not arrested and why civilians, such as Mr Hughes, were not directed away from the area.

"I suspect that it was because the security forces wanted the IRA operation to go ahead so they could kill them," said Ms Kelly.

"They should have tried to stop the incident from taking place," she added.

The Loughgall massacre was the IRA's biggest loss of life of the Troubles.

Last night (Thursday) a HET spokeswoman told the Belfast Telegraph "the Historical Enquiries Team work with bereaved families on a strictly confidential basis. It does not discuss the contents or progress of a review with anyone except the families concerned or their representatives".

December 5, 2011
________________

This article appeared in the December 2, 2011 edition of the Belfast Telegraph.

Main page






MUSIC & VIDEOS

Irish music downloads

-----
Irish Videos
Giftcard


Art, prints, calendars and posters
Buy at Art.com
Sir Henry Sidney "Pacifies" Ulster and Returns to Dublin after a Victory
Buy From Art.com

Subscribe to the Newshound
OR

Subscribe with PayPal


Newshound
Merchandise

Newshound Merchandise
Get a Newshound mug, shirt or cap
The Epic History &
Heritage of the Irish
WORLDWIDE,
NON-STOP!

The Wild Geese Today

BACK TO TOP


About
Home
History
NewsoftheIrish
Books
Contact